Monday, May 11, 2009

Training Officially Begins Today!

Over the weekend, Hubs and I went to the in-laws house for one last visit before our big move out East, which is quickly approaching. Before we headed out there on Saturday, we hit the gym. Hubs was doing a quick 20 minute workout, so I decided to do a straight swim without rest, etc. I was able to to do 1/2 mile in the 20 minute period, which made me pretty happy, especially b/c I was not working very hard. I am really hoping to get my time down closer to 15 minutes in the pool.

Sunday, my mother-in-law and I went on a nice long bike ride - 17 miles. She is an avid rider and is getting ready for a big bike trip in two weeks with her sister and some friends. They will do a couple days of 40 miles/day on average. So for her, 17 miles is a short ride, but it was plenty long for me. Those rides really wipe me out afterwards. Luckily, it was a beautiful day with clear skies and great temperatures. There was only one little patch of tough wind, but otherwise it was a great ride. About 7 miles was on a paved path and the other 10 miles was on crushed limestone. I can't believe how much tougher crushed limestone is. Your body gets tired just from the constant vibrations. It felt good to get back on pavement after 10 miles of bumpiness.

This evening when I get off work, I am headed to the gym to do my first workout from the triathlon training plan. I'll be in the pool - the workout says to do 10 min warm-up, 10 min kick, 20 min freestyle, stopping as needed, and 5 min cool down. Plus, I am supposed to do some strength training. I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

No comments: